Wagner Applauds House Passage of Defense Funding Bill
WASHINGTON – Today, Congresswoman Ann Wagner (R-MO-02) commended the House passage of the Department of Defense Appropriations Act (H.R. 5293). This legislation approves necessary funding for the U.S. Department of Defense, and included in the bill was funding for 16 F/A-18E Super Hornets in the Fiscal Year 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).
“I am thankful that we are another step closer to securing additional Super Hornets for production and maintenance in St. Louis. At a time of increased fear and threats of violent Islamic extremism, these jets are critical in supporting our war fighters abroad and protecting our families at home,” said Congresswoman Wagner. “In addition to addressing the Navy’s tactical aviation shortfall, these 16 Super Hornets will provide 5,000 direct jobs in St. Louis and thousands of jobs across the state, boosting our local economy for years to come.”
The $1.35 billion in funding provided for the Super Hornets will allow for continued production and maintenance of the aircraft through the end of 2018 and into 2019, supporting approximately 5,000 jobs in the St. Louis area and more than 15,000 jobs across the state of Missouri.
As a leading proponent of the Super Hornets, Wagner testified before the House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee in April to underscore the shortage of aircraft and need for increased funding.
Fiscal Year 2016
- 7 Growlers and 5 Super Hornets included in spending bill
- Led Missouri and Illinois delegation letter to appropriations and armed services committee requesting more fighter jets
- Testified before House Armed Services and House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense on importance of Growlers and Super Hornets in the fight against the Islamic State
Fiscal Year 2015
- 15 Growlers included in spending bill
- Led Congressional letter to appropriations and armed services committee signed by over 100 Members of Congress
- Testified before House Armed Services and House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense on importance of Growlers to the warfighter
Fiscal Year 2014
- Worked with House Armed Services Committee and House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense to obtain advanced procurement funding for future additional Super Hornets
- Fought to protect full funding allocations for Growlers amid sequestration cuts to defense spending